Friday, December 4, 2020

Advent 2020, Fri., 12/4 - Matthew 6

God brings us life through His Word, through knowledge of Him and hearing His voice!

PRAY and thank God for His Kingdom work, which Jesus' birth initiated and which the Spirit's work continues and affirms.

READ Matthew 6.

REFLECT
For the Pharisees to hear Jesus' words, it may have been convicting - He really cut to the heart. "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" (21). They were the ones showcasing their good acts for all to see, to the applause of men, and to the audience of public opinion, mostly the affirmation of their friends. As long as they looked good to their social network, they must have felt like they were doing well. And in today's era of social networks, where we like Likes, and we want affirmation. It is good to be affirmed. It makes us feel secure, however superficial an internet Like might be. Jesus cut through all of that: "Seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you" (33). Truly, what are we living for?

RESPOND
I need heart checks every day. So quickly does my life become about something other than seeking the Lord and listening for His voice. Whether I am concerned about matching the social consciousness about an issue, or appeasing my desire not to look like a mindless sheep following the herd, there are many ways in which I get caught up in some goal other than His righteousness. So, am I checking my heart with this: "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!" (Ps. 139:23-24). For if my prayer is to be right with God, then I will be right where I need to be, and I will have the only affirmation that matters. Will you pray that prayer every day? Even just for today, but with depth and honesty?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ephesians 4:29 Memory/Meditation

 "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, so that it gives grac...