Friday, December 18, 2020

Advent 2020, Fri., 12/18 - Matthew 20

The anticipation of Christmas is anticipation of blessings from Christ!

PRAY for God to humble you as we ask God to bless us.

READ Matthew 20.

REFLECT
The story of the laborers in the vineyard speaks to the heart of man. The laborers who were hired early in the morning were given a blessing from the owner of the vineyard. It makes me think of day laborers I see waiting outside the home improvement store or gas station hoping that someone will give them work for the day. In the story the workers who were hired later were also given a blessing by the vineyard owner. Though their work was different, the same grace that called the last set was the grace that called the earlier ones - the master did not have to choose those particular workers, but he did. The ones hired earlier felt they had earned the blessing by the end of the day, but it was always a gift of grace. Jesus' response to James, John, and their mother resets the relationship: the greatest is the one who serves. And Jesus had just told them again how He was going to serve them by giving His life. Jesus service to us doesn't make us His masters; His service to us demonstrates His grace that reaches down to us.

RESPOND
I am thankful for the relationships God has given to me that help humble me. My leaders at church, my wife and children, my friends, my colleagues - each has a role to help me grasp God's grace in my life, and each is someone I can serve. When I try to love them, I should not do so from a position of pride or thinking that I am superior. That is more self-love than love for others. I need God to help me not take pride in what work I do, or what I have in my life, where I would think I am better than others. I am only saved because God has mercy on me, a sinner. Lord, keep my feet on the ground! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ephesians 4:29 Memory/Meditation

 "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, so that it gives grac...